Friday, June 1, 2012

In-betweens

Every single time I meet someone new, they ask my why in the world I would ever move from sunny California to DC. My answer? I don't know! As graduation grew closer, I realized I didn't see myself living in CA forever. I grew up on the East Coast and always knew I would go back. I decided on DC for a few reasons. First, my brother already lived there and loved it, and second, my sister was planning on moving there with a bunch of her girlfriends after graduation--built in friends in a scary new city! An amazing job opportunity sealed the deal and next thing I knew, I was looking for an apartment in a city I'd been to only twice in my life.

DC is the perfect city of in-betweens. It's not as overwhelming as NYC yet still has that city vibe. It's not too far north that I would freeze to death and be miserable, because let's be honest, I hate the cold. I live in the city, yet my neighborhood is quiet and peaceful. I often still question why I moved here, but after the dreaded winter ends and spring kicks in, I am reminded why. This was my view just last night, as I sat with my girlfriends during happy hour, celebrating (if you can call one of your BFFs leaving, "celebrating") Sara's new job in Dallas, where she will move next month.


This year marks the year of change for everyone around me. It seems as though all of my friends have either started a new job in the last few months, are heading off to school at the end of the summer, or are moving to a new city for a fresh start. Next year will be so drastically different from this past year, and that scares me! This year has been one of the best in my life, and I hesitate to embrace change. Sometimes, I just need to be reminded why I came here in the first place, and how lucky I am to live in one of the most gorgeous cities in the country. I think I might stay for a while, and that's not so bad now is it? :)










All personal photos with Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment